Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Jackson's Mellon




Jackson's surgery was on Friday, December 29, 2006. We showed up to Texas Children's Hospital at 5:45 and Jackson left our side to go to the surgery room at 7:30. We were told that the surgery would take about 4 or 5 hours, however it only took 3 hours. The surgeon told us that his case was more difficult and more severe than he thought it would be. I don't know what he meant by that.

We stayed in recovery for about 4 or 5 hours, because they didn't have a room ready. We were suppose to only be in recovery a half hour, but it wasn't a big deal. While we were there both the plastic surgeon, Nuero surgeon, and optimologistl came in to check on him. They were a little worried at first because he could shut his right eye but it's fine now.

After recovery, we went to pediatric intensive Care Unit (PICU) For the first 5 or 6 hours they couldn't figure out how to manage his pain. It was kind of frustrating. They would give him a dose of morphine that was suppose to last 7 hours and it would barely last 20 minutes (at the most). So they would keep trying new things but it would never last long. They were afraid to give him too much because he's so young they were worried that he would stop breathing. So at about 8pm they started a small continuous drip of morphine into his IV. And then every 15 minutes we could give him more, if he was fussing (from pain) It worked and he did very well after that.

I will post more pictures and stuff later.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rochelle said...

Hey,
Thank you for updating us. I know you are really busy. We have been wondering how things are going. I call mom at least once a day to see if she has heard anything. I keep wanting to call but I know you are really busy. So I just want to let you know I am so happy things are good for Jackson and you are in our prayers. We love all of you guys so much.

6:46 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Rochelle said...

Oh, yah I was going to say. From the pictures his head looks so round and pretty. I think he looks so beautiful. Not that he didn't before. Wow, I am so amazed at the things they can do know what a true miricle.

6:48 PM, January 03, 2007  
Blogger Sandra said...

He's a little miricle! And Amy's right you are the best parents to have the faith ahd courage to do what needed to be done for Jackson. He looks so adorable all round and cuddley. I hope Isaac and Kayla are being gentle with him. I bet he's so happy to see them. We love you lots, Mom and Dad

10:04 AM, January 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so glad to see Jackson is recovering sooo fast. What a tough little guy. Those are some of the most precious pictures I have ever seen. Keep us updated. You all are in our thoughts and prayers daily.
We love you all tell the kids we said hi and the christmas presents are on the way I promise. Love, Charla, Mike, Blake and Elijah

1:48 PM, January 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home